If you are a person who is aware of new releases you will know that at the last Gamescom 2022 Sony announced its new line of customizable PS5 DualSense Edge controllers.
The New PS5 DualSense Edge Controllers
This controller will be the first ultra-customizable, high-performance wireless controller developed by Sony. Among many things, it will allow you to customize buttons, trigger certain actions, and create certain default controls.
Remember that Sony has just launched one of the best current wireless controllers, its current PS5 controllers, and with this new model, it wants to change certain problems that have been chasing its previous versions of its controllers. One of these problems is drift: one of the solutions that have been proposed and introduced in this new generation is the possibility of changing the sensitivity range of the sticks, thus enabling the option of changing the dead zones. If you want to see what else Sony has changed and included with its new controller, read on.
Design and appearance of the new PS5 controllers
The first thing you think when you see the new DualSense Edge from the front is that it is very similar to the normal DualSense. The most remarkable thing is that the color of the touchpad changes from white to black.
The new controller will come along with the new exclusive case. With it, you can charge the controller while it is stored. The control will come equipped with a series of extras and spare parts :
- Braided USB Type C Cable.
- 2 normal stick caps.
- 2 Low Dome Stick Caps
- 2 Medium Dome Stick Caps
- 2 High Dome Stick Caps
- 2 rear levers.
- USB connector housings.
The controller comes with a housing for the USB Type-C cable connector. This will allow the port to be blocked to prevent it from disconnecting if you change posture or make an unexpected movement. This will be crucial if you are in a committed moment when playing.
DualSense Edge news and features
Sony, with this new version, wanted to prioritize the customization options that users at its command can make, whether at the Hardware or Software level, to create an exceptional gaming experience.
Now that we more or less know where the shots are going regarding the design, we are going to see a series of features that the new DualSense model will bring with it.
- Profile creation. The possibility of having several profiles is incorporated, each one with its configuration data. You can save your different configurations and switch between them on the fly.
- Customizable stick modules. Indeed, you can replace the entire stick module individually or together. According to official sources, stick modules will be sold separately.
- Customizable controls. Perhaps one of the great novelties of this command. You will be able to assign or disable certain specific buttons. Regarding the stick, you can modify the sensitivity and the range of the dead zones. With the latter, one of the big problems that have been haunting console controllers for a long time could disappear: controller drift. The good thing is that this configuration will be saved in the controller itself and not in the game, so you will not have to modify these settings in each video game you play. In addition to the sticks, you can also change the sensitivity of the triggers. For example, you will be able to minimize the distance you have to pull the trigger before firing, thus buying time that could be crucial for your PVP.
- User interface. By pressing the Fn button, you will access the settings while you are in-game. You will be able to change profiles without losing concentration on the game. In the profiles, you can configure various things, such as the volume of the game, the size of the chat, the sensitivity of the sticks, and establish different actions to the buttons, …
- Stick caps and back buttons. The new sticks will also be customizable, being able to choose between three types: standard, high dome, and low dome. You can also exchange the two rear configurable buttons on the controller, with two options, half dome or lever.
- General characteristics. In addition to all the things mentioned above, the DualSense Edge wireless controller maintains the ergonomic design of its previous model, including haptic feedback (vibration patterns), adaptive triggers, motion controls, and a built-in microphone.
Although nothing has been said about the battery at the moment, it is expected to last longer than the current controller. Unfortunately, no news about the price or possible release date has been leaked either.
DualSense Edge or Xbox Elite Series 2?
The comparison of the two most popular console controllers today could not be missing. Before starting, it is worth mentioning that we will try to make a comparison as objective as possible, outside of personal experiences.
And now, which control is better? Let’s take a look at its features.
The DualSense Edge has unique features compared to other controller models: haptic feedback, motion controls, adaptive triggers, integrated microphone, and speaker, and the integration of two new buttons on the back.
Similarly, the Elite Series 2 also has other features: it has a thumbstick that allows you to modify the tension you have to apply to the left and right sticks. Both can have their settings. In addition, the controller comes with a wrap-around rubber grip, a removable battery, a charging dock with a USB-C cable, and a set of components that can be customized by users to suit their style of play.
Microsoft Elite Series 2 Black Wireless Controller for Xbox One/PC
One of the novelties of the DualSense Edge is that the thumb module can be completely replaced, something that is not possible in the case of the Elite Series 2. Thanks to this, the durability of the controller will increase a lot; users will be able to change these modules separately as soon as they start to see flaws or failures in them. These modules will be sold separately, so you won’t necessarily have to buy both at the same time.
Regarding the controller pads, Xbox wins in number, having up to 6 types of adjustable thumbsticks available to the user, while the DualSense Edge offers 3 types: standard, high dome, and low dome.
The back of the Xbox controller is also quite different from the Sony one. In the case of the Elite Series 2, it has two switchable rear sticks (medium and mini) and four buttons, while the DualSense Edge only has two.
Button mapping and custom profile creation are present on both controllers, so talking about differences here would be absurd.
As for the price of both, the final price of the DualSense Edge is not yet known, but it is expected to be similar or equal to that of the Xbox Elite Series 2.
Microsoft Xbox Elite Series 2 Core Wireless Controller White
One thing to note is that when you buy an Elite Series 2 controller, it doesn’t come with a carrying case, no extra thumbsticks, and no paddles. All these additional pieces can be included for a price of $60.
Having said all this, in conclusion, if what you are looking for is a controller that will last you years and years, what you need is the DualSense Edge, since, with its interchangeable modules, you will be able to change them without the need to buy a new controller, something which, the truth, helps a lot to the pocket.
Both controls allow very high levels of customization and I am sure that, whatever control you have decided to buy, it will meet your expectations.
Conclusions Is it worth buying the DualSense Edge?
In my humble opinion, I think that the DualSense Edge has the potential to become one of the best controls that have ever existed, not only for comfort and aesthetics but also because you can customize it to your liking and that shows. Let’s pray that there are no big design flaws or anything like that.
Anyone who has tried the PS5 controller, the normal DualSense, will know very well that it is a comfortable, lightweight controller, with triggers that adapt to the game you are playing and that allow you to immerse yourself in the game, with an elegant and aesthetic design. . Sony’s idea has been to include the aforementioned and improve many aspects.
Sony DualSense Wireless Controller for PS5
If you are a person who takes care of your things and they last a long time, I don’t want to imagine how long this command will last. Let’s be honest, one of the main reasons why people will hesitate to buy this controller or another (apart from not having a PC or PlayStation, which is incomprehensible), is going to be its high price.
Although the price has not yet been leaked, we can imagine that it will be between $150 and $200. Being objective, it is expensive for a controller and with that price, you could buy around 50 kebabs. Is it worth buying it? That will depend entirely on you. If you are a person who plays 3 games a year and you don’t have money left over, it will surely compensate you to buy a cheaper controller and spend the money on FIFA envelopes.
Read more about PlayStation VR2 Arrives in February
Abram left his e-business studies to devote himself to his entrepreneurial projects. In 2017, he created the company Inbound Media and wrote articles about high-tech products for his Chromebookeur site. In 2019, Chromebookeur was renamed Macbound and became a general purchasing advice site. Today, Abram manages the development and growth of Macbound, surrounded by a young and talented team.