The PC is a tool that accompanies millions of users in everyday life, in the workplace, in the playful, and at home. We use PCs to record screens and another lot of activities.
PC screen recording is a video that records everything that is done by the user. This means recording everything that is displayed on the screen, including interaction with installed apps and programs. This operation can be particularly useful for memorizing specific procedures or actions or to show another user how to carry out a procedure on the PC in practice.
In this guide, we will therefore go to see how to record the screen on Windows. We will then see how to register on PCs and notebooks with Windows 10 and Windows 11. We remind you that we have a similar guide for those interested in screen recording on Android.
- How to record screen on Windows without external programs
- How to record screen on Windows with OBS
- How to record screen on Windows with PicPick
- How to record screen on Windows with GeForce Experience
How to record screen on Windows 10 and 11
All PCs upgraded to at least Windows 10 do not need third-party apps or software to start screen recording.
In fact, with Windows 10 and Windows 11, we find the integration of the Xbox Game Bar, a tool that Microsoft has developed essentially for video players. With the Xbox Game Bar, you can record your screen relatively easily and for free. Let’s see how to do it:
- To start the Xbox Game Bar, press the Windows key + G at the same time
- Once started, it will be possible to choose the Acquire function from the upper bar.
- From the window that opens, you can choose whether to take a screenshot (camera icon) or whether to record the screen (icon with a dot).
- It will be possible to customize the acquisition, choosing the frame rate and which audio channel to enable during recording.
- Once the recording has started, it will be possible to pause, stop it, and choose whether or not to exclude the audio output from the PC.
- Once the recording is stopped, you will be able to quickly access the recorded files via the View acquisitions option.
The screenshots that you immediately find below show the procedure described according to the main steps.
How to record screen on Windows with OBS
If you don’t intend to use the Xbox Game Bar built into Windows 10 and Windows 11 then third-party software may come in handy. Among the most widespread and efficient we find OBS Studio. Let’s see how to install it and how to use it:
- Download and install OBS Studio from the official site.
- Once the installation is complete, open OBS Studio on your PC.
- Click on Capture Screen. The Create / Select Source window will open.
- Click OK, and a preview of your desktop will open.
- Select the screen to register.
- At this stage, it is also possible to customize the audio parameters for recording.
- Click Start Registration to start registration.
- Once the recording is stopped, it will be possible to review the file in the folder chosen for automatic saving.
Below are some screenshots of the main sections of OBS Studio. We remind you that the software is free and has no restrictions for private use.
How to record screen on Windows with PicPick
Similarly to what we saw for OBS Studio, PicPick represents a second valid alternative to the Xbox Game Bar to record the screen on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Also in this case it is a free and ad-free third-party software. Let’s see how to install and use it:
- Download and install PicPick from the official site.
- Launch PicPick on your PC.
- Select the Screen Recording option from the home section.
- Select the area of the screen you want to record. You can also select the entire screen automatically via the link in the top bar of the app.
- Start recording using the appropriate button marked with the red dot icon.
- Once the recording is stopped, it will be possible to view the file in the folder chosen for automatic saving.
PicPick also offers other useful tools, such as the ability to pick a color from elements on the screen, use a magnifying glass, apply the ruler and customize the screenshot or video capture window based on predefined shapes.
The gallery below represents the main sections of the app. We remind you that PicPick is free and has no limitations for non-commercial use.
How to record screen on Windows with GeForce Experience
GeForce Experience is a very useful app for those who intend to re-record the screen on Windows 10 and Windows 11 and who are looking for special options for customizing recordings. We tell you right away that you will only be able to install and use this software if you have a PC with an NVIDIA GPU. Let’s see how to install and use it:
- Download and install GeForce Experience from the official website.
- Launch GeForce Experience on your PC.
- You will be able to quickly launch GeForce Experience with the Alt + Z shortcut.
- Select the Register option.
- In this phase, it is also possible to customize the recording resolution, which can reach up to 8K HDR resolution and 30 frames per second or up to 4K HDR and 60 frames per second.
- Once the recording is complete, it will be possible to view the video and possibly share it.
GeForce Experience offers the ability to use other useful features.
It will be possible to take screenshots quickly during the game, it will be possible to start live streams of your gaming sessions. A very interesting feature is called ShadowPlay and allows, if enabled, to automatically capture screenshots of the salient game phases just as you play.
Read more about AMD Accelerating Innovation: Why Is It Worth Upgrading Hardware?
Abram left his e-business studies to devote himself to his entrepreneurial projects. In 2017, he created the company Inbound Media and wrote articles about high-tech products for his Chromebookeur site. In 2019, Chromebookeur was renamed Macbound and became a general purchasing advice site. Today, Abram manages the development and growth of Macbound, surrounded by a young and talented team.