It can happen to forget the email address or the password of the Apple ID: here is the procedure to follow to recover the credentials
Apple id is the personal account with which you can log into Apple services like App Store, iCloud, Messages, Apple Online Store, FaceTime, and more. This is an identifier consisting of a username (email address) and password that includes login details and all contact, payment, and security information that are used in Apple services, and forgetting it means being “locked out” on all devices for which the same id is used.
For various reasons it may happen that you do not remember or do not have the information you need to access: here is a guide to recovering the Apple ID credentials.
- How to recover Apple ID email address or phone number
- How to recover Apple id password
How to recover Apple ID email address or phone number
The Apple ID is composed, as mentioned, of an email address (equivalent to the username) and a password. To retrieve the email address associated with the Apple ID, you can use the iPhone itself or the Mac.
- From your iPhone, simply turn on your smartphone, unlock it, tap “Settings, and then your name: the email address will be shown under the photo.
- On a Mac you have to choose the Apple menu (the symbol of the bitten apple at the top left), then click on “System Preferences” and then on Apple ID.
- If you are using a Windows PC instead, you need to open iCloud for Windows, then search for your Apple ID under your name.
Other ways to find your email address are to check if you have accessed the App Store, FaceTime, or Messages on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac or iTunes for Windows on a PC. You can also go to iCloud.com or appleid.apple.com and check if your Apple ID is prefilled on the login screen. The last option, check in the emails if there are purchase receipts for Apple products or services that show the id and the email address.
How to recover Apple ID password
Losing your password involves a longer, but simple, recovery procedure. The quickest way is to reset the password with the iPhone or another Apple device registered, i.e. on a device on which you have already logged in with your Apple ID.
To reset the Apple ID password on the iPhone or other registered Apple device, you need to:
- Go to “Settings”
- Tap your name, then “Password & Security” and “Change Password”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password
To reset the password on the Mac, click on the Apple menu item (the icon of the bitten apple), then access “System Preferences”n click on Apple id, on “Password and security” and follow the instructions on the screen.
In case you have a new Apple device or one from where you have never logged in with the Apple d, you can select “Forgot Apple ID or password?” wherever the option appears.
While setting up your device, you can find this option on the Apple ID login screen. After installation, you can select an app or other option that asks you to sign in:
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: go to the “Settings” app and tap “Messages”
- Mac: Choose the Apple menu (the bitten apple icon at the top left) and then click “System Preferences”. Then click on Apple id and enter your Apple ID
If you don’t have a registered device, you can reset your password on the web, but the process may take a little longer. To do this, you need to log into iforgot.apple.com and follow the instructions on the screen.
Abram left his e-business studies to devote himself to his entrepreneurial projects. In 2017, he created the company Inbound Media and wrote articles about high-tech products for his Chromebookeur site. In 2019, Chromebookeur was renamed Macbound and became a general purchasing advice site. Today, Abram manages the development and growth of Macbound, surrounded by a young and talented team.