Transferring WhatsApp data from Android to iOS is far from unusual. It often happens that you have to switch from one mobile operating system to another for different reasons and needs: from business ones (think, for example, to the company smartphone) to the most classic and timeless curiosity; maybe to try something new, or simply to complete the Apple ecosystem.
And since WhatsApp is the most widespread messaging app in the world, in all these cases the need to move chats from one phone to another almost always arises, to avoid permanently losing precious conversations, images, and messages from groups ( work or leisure) “accumulated” over the years.
However widespread it is, it is important to know that this is not the only solution available.
Not everyone can exploit it and in the next few lines, we will see how to pass WhatsApp data from one phone to another, consequently completing the discussion of one of the most sought-after topics on the web.
- Switch to iOS
- WonderShare MobileTrans
- iCareFone Transfer
How to transfer WhatsApp data with Switch to IOS
As we wrote earlier, Switch to iOS is one of the services that allow you to transfer all WhatsApp data from Android to iOS for free. It is an official solution (as designed by Apple itself) and reliable but unfortunately collides with some essential general conditions that could hinder its availability for everyone (also because everyone could have certain needs).
In particular, smartphones must support the following operating systems:
- Android: version 5.0 Lollipop or higher (it is therefore a 2014 release)
- iOS: version 15.5 or later
Also, the iPhone must be new or already reset. It is not possible to transfer WhatsApp chats to an iPhone that is already configured.
In this case, it will first have to be reset and re-installed all over again, even if it must be said that the Switch to iOS app allows you to migrate data from Android to iPhone, not only those related exclusively to WhatsApp.
Finally, both smartphones must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Once these premises have been made, let’s see how to transfer all WhatsApp data from Android to iOS. The first thing to do is download the Switch to iOS app on Android and connect the device to the Wi-Fi network.
Now turn on the iPhone and start the initial configuration, subsequently connecting the “iPhone by” to the Wi-Fi network as before. Continue with the configuration and, on the screen dedicated to transferring data to iPhone, choose to move them from Android.
At this point, go back to your already configured Android smartphone and open the previously downloaded Switch to iOS app. Follow the on-screen instructions.
On the iPhone, on the other hand, click on ” Continue ” as soon as the Switch to iOS screen appears: after loading the data, the “iPhone by” screen will show a numeric code.
Copy this code to your Android smartphone and select WhatsApp on the next screen, then press ” Start ” to begin the process. It is good to know that, depending on the amount of data to be transferred, the procedure may take some time, so don’t despair.
At the end of the process, you will be disconnected from the WhatsApp account on Android and you can complete the initial configuration of the iPhone. Once everything is set up, download the WhatsApp app on your iPhone from the App Store and open it.
Now just enter the same phone number used on Android to complete the configuration and see the old WhatsApp chats ready for use again.
How to pass WhatsApp data with WonderShare MobileTrans
The presence of the requirements of the Switch to iOS app may not fully satisfy the needs of some users, especially in the part where the need to restore the iPhone is required.
Do not despair, however, as there is another very effective solution.
Thanks to the third-party service WonderShare MobileTrans, it is possible to transfer WhatsApp data without having to restore the iPhone. In this way, you will avoid the annoyance, especially for those who are already using an “iPhone by” as a secondary smartphone, of having to configure it again. Not only that, but this procedure also allows you to switch chats from iOS to Android.
The only convenient one? This is not a free service, as you will need to purchase a specific license. At the time of writing, the cheapest option (annual license) costs 24.95 dollars + VAT for Windows users and 32.95 dollars + VAT for Mac users. This version allows you to install the program on a computer, transfer WhatsApp data between 5 different phones (iOS / Android) and make unlimited WhatsApp backups and/or restores on them.
But how is it to be done? It’s very simple.
All you need is a computer ( Windows or Mac, it doesn’t matter), a Lightning cable to connect iPhone to the PC, a micro-USB or USB-C cable (depending on your device) to connect the Android smartphone to the computer, and the two Android and iOS devices.
Let’s start from the beginning, by downloading and installing WonderShare MobileTrans; then connect the two smartphones to the PC. On Android, you may need to enable USB debugging.
To do this you have to enter the Settings app, scroll to General, press on ” Device Information ” and tap seven times on the ” Build number ” option to enable the Options dedicated to developers. Now go back to the main Settings screen and enter the new ” Developer options ” menu, then enable the ” USB debugging mode ” option.
Now proceed as follows:
- From the main WonderShare MobileTrans screen, click on “Transfer WhatsApp” in the transfer options
- The app will detect both devices connected to the computer and will mark them as ” Origin ” (the smartphone that has the WhatsApp data to be transferred) and ” Destination ” (the receiving iPhone, basically). In case of software detection errors, you can always reverse the phones by clicking the ” Flip ” button
- Press the “Start” button to start the WhatsApp data transfer process. On iPhone, you can choose to keep existing data or overwrite it
- Wait for the procedure to complete, avoiding disconnecting the two devices from the PC
- Start WhatsApp on iPhone. The app will automatically detect the data just transferred and propose a restoration of the same
How to transfer WhatsApp data from Android to iOS with iCareFone Transfer
Another reliable third-party service that allows you to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS is iCareFone Transfer.
It works like WonderShare MobileTrans and exactly like the latter it offers the possibility to move conversations to an iPhone already configured. Again, it is possible to switch chats from Android to iOS in reverse.
The steps are more or less the same and include three general pre-conditions :
- download iCareFone Transfer to your computer (Windows or Mac)
- connect the two Android and iOS smartphones to the PC
- activate USB debugging on Android (you can follow the steps described in the previous paragraph)
Please note that the trial version of iCareFone Transfer is not sufficient for the procedure we are analyzing; therefore, it will be necessary to purchase the paid version of the program ( 1 Month License may be fine for 19.99 dollars + VAT, which is currently the cheapest option). We add that it is possible to pay both by card and through PayPal.
Having made these necessary premises, let’s now see together how to do it:
- Open iCareFone Transfer, connect the smartphones to the PC, and press ” Transfer ” located on the left, accepting all the various warning messages
- Back up your WhatsApp data by following the procedure proposed on the screen
- In the ” Verify the WhatsApp backup account ” screen, check the WhatsApp account on the Android smartphone (or in any case the source device, ie the one that hosts the chats you want to move) by entering the phone number
- Enter the code received on the phone in the appropriate field on the iCareFone Transfer screen
- iCareFone Transfer will now start the procedure (more or less lengthy, based on the amount of data to be migrated) which will provide for the copying of all chats from Android to iPhone.
- Make sure you have completed the WhatsApp login on the target iPhone and click ” Login “
- Deactivate the “Find my iPhone” function and wait for the procedure to be successful
How to transfer WhatsApp data via email
The solutions exposed so far allow you to transfer WhatsApp chats by installing a special program (in the first official case, as designed by Apple itself and in the other two cases by means of a third-party tool).
If you do not want to install the two software and maybe it is not important for you to keep the conversation history inside the WhatsApp app on the iPhone, there is a third solution that could be for you: export the chat or chats via email and then read them again on any device and operating system (even iOS) via a text file app.
Open WhatsApp on your Android smartphone and click on the chat (both individual and group) you want to export. At this point, tap on the three dots at the top right and, in the drop-down menu, first select ” Other ” and then “Export Chat“. Choose whether to include multimedia files (such as images and videos) and, using the appropriate menu, send the file in .txt format thus generated via email.
It should be noted that this procedure allows you to export a maximum of 10,000 messages with multimedia files, or 40,000 messages without media files.
Read more about How To Recover Messages On WhatsApp, Even Without The Backup
Abram left his e-business studies to devote himself to his entrepreneurial projects. In 2017, he created the company Inbound Media and wrote articles about high-tech products for his Chromebookeur site. In 2019, Chromebookeur was renamed Macbound and became a general purchasing advice site. Today, Abram manages the development and growth of Macbound, surrounded by a young and talented team.